15 Things You Might Not Know About Pumpkin Show
15 Things You Might Not Know about Circleville’s Pumpkin Show
For over a hundred years, the Circleville Pumpkin Show has brought so much joy to our community and attendees from around the world, and we wanted to know a little more about it. Our research turned up some interesting facts. Think you know everything there is to know about Pumpkin Show? Test your knowledge below!
- The Pumpkin Show has only been cancelled twice in its 100+ year history: once during WWI, and again in 2020 because of COVID-19. It was reduced in size in 1943 and 1944 because of WWII. Therefore, though the show was started in 1903, the 100th Pumpkin Show was celebrated in 2005.
- The acts and attractions of The Pumpkin Show have changed radically over the years. Early Pumpkin Shows had high wire acts and flagpole sitters—even dance acts.
- Lucile Heiss was the first Miss Pumpkin Show in 1933! After that, the Miss Pumpkin Show competition expanded with the Little Miss Pumpkin Show competition.
- Ted Lewis made an appearance at Pumpkin Show for almost 50 years. He used to ride on a float and yell “Is everybody happy?” while waving his iconic top hat.
- In the early days of the Show, fifty-pound pumpkins were considered impressive. Now, it is not unusual to see several pumpkins well over a thousand pounds.
- The first Pumpkin Show ride was installed in 1905 and was a merry-go-round. Post WWII, the Show started adding more attractions for more of a carnival atmosphere.
- With over 300,000 visitors, The Pumpkin Show is the sixth largest festival in the United States!
- Over 100,000 pumpkin doughnuts are sold over the course of 4 days (though you can get Lindsay’s pumpkin doughnuts year-round).
- In honor of the Pumpkin Show, Lindsay’s Bakery makes the largest pumpkin pie in the world. But don’t count on getting a piece, the 400 lb. pie is fed to hogs at the end of the Show.
- The Pumpkin Show record for giant pumpkin is held by Dr. Liggett. In 2014, his pumpkin topped 1,963 lbs.!
- The largest pumpkin festival in the world is the Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival in Germany. Their festival runs for five months and showcases over 450,000 pumpkins.
- There are world famous pumpkin festivals in Australia, New Zealand, England, and all over the United States.
- Mayor George P. Haswell is the father of The Pumpkin Show, and the current mayor of Circleville has since served as the director of The Pumpkin Show in his honor.
- The Pickaway County Agricultural Society organized the event until the county fair was established. It was then taken over by a dedicated group of individuals, Pumpkin Show, Inc.
- The Pumpkin Show has been featured by The New York Times and National Geographic in past years.
Pickaway County, Ohio: History & Families, 1810-2005 by Pickaway County Historical and Genealogical Society (Ohio)